The University of Michigan Music Library supports the teaching and research interests of the School of Music, Theatre and Dance, interdisciplinary collaborations within the larger University of Michigan community, and general service to the public. Among the busiest libraries in the University Library system, the Music Library holds more than 240,000 items, including scores, audio recordings, videos, and numerous special collections. The School of Music, Theatre and Dance, one of the oldest and largest in the country, has approximately 150 faculty and over 1,000 students from all 50 states and almost two dozen countries. The school offers an array of programs – undergraduate through doctoral – in nearly all fields of music, dance, and theatre. This is a half-time position.
Under the general supervision of the Head of the Music Library, the Music Librarian is responsible for providing professional library services including reference, instruction, collection development, maintenance and development of the library’s website, and serving as a liaison to selected faculty departments and programs. May provide assistance in Theatre, Dance, or a number of specialized music areas.
Reference, Instruction and Outreach (75%)
- Provides reference and specialized research support to Music Library users; assists in training of staff and student assistants; participates in designing, implementing, and evaluating the effectiveness of Music Library reference programs, both onsite and virtual.
- Leads Music Library instruction activities, including design, implementation, and evaluation of services and programs; identifies and addresses instructional needs of Library users; prepares and updates paper and online guides to Music Library resources and services; gives classroom presentations and orientations.
- Works closely and collaboratively with School of Music, Theatre and Dance faculty in selected areas to meet specific research and instructional needs; facilitates communication to faculty in selected departments regarding Music Library collections and services.
Website Design and Maintenance (15%)
- Assumes primary responsibility for the Music Library website development, updating, and technical maintenance.
Other Activities (10%)
- Represents the Music Library on University and University Library committees; participates in professional activities; manages library projects as appropriate or assigned.
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited library school and undergraduate degree in music, or equivalent amount of education and experience
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Familiarity with issues related to music librarianship
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with culturally diverse faculty, staff, and student populations.
- Graduate degree in music
- One or more years of reference experience in an academic setting
- Experience creating and maintaining web pages and web-based resources
BENEFITS, RANK, and SALARY
It is anticipated that the position will be filled at the Assistant Librarian level; final rank and salary are dependent on experience and qualifications. Librarians receive 24 days of vacation a year, 15 days of sick leave a year with provisions for extended benefits, as well as opportunities for professional development and travel.
Further information regarding benefits can be found at http://benefits.umich.edu/benefitgroups/faculty.html.
RETIREMENT OPTIONS: TIAA-CREF and Fidelity Investments options available.
Email a cover letter and CV as an attachment to email@example.com, addressed to:
Head of Library Human Resources
404 Hatcher Graduate Library North
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1190
For further information, call 734-764-2546 between 8:00 A.M. and 5:00 P.M., Monday-Friday.
Review of applications will begin 6/15/12and continue until the position is filled.